Atheism at a glance
Atheism is the absence of belief in any gods or spiritual beings. The word "atheism" comes from a, meaning without, and theism meaning belief in god or gods.
- Atheists don't use God to explain the existence of the universe.
- Atheists say that human beings can devise suitable moral codes to live by without the aid of gods or scriptures.
Reasons for non-belief
People are atheist for many reasons, among them:
- They find insufficient evidence to support any religion.
- They think that religion is nonsensical.
- They once had a religion and have lost faith in it.
- They live in a non-religious culture.
- Religion doesn't interest them.
- Religion doesn't seem relevant to their lives.
- Religions seem to have done a lot of harm in the world.
- The world is such a bad place that there can't be a God.